Sunday, May 16, 2010

With Every End Comes a New Beginning?

Yeah, let's just go ahead and start this blog off by being honest- the title of this first blog is just a pathetic attempt to make myself feel just a little bit better. It is an attempt to make leaving the best four years of my life at Auburn as just the end to a chapter of life. If that is the case, it was for sure the "rising action" and "climax" all in one. Hope that does not mean that the only things in the future are the "falling action" and "conclusion." But whatsoever it may be, it is unavoidably here. The best thing I know how to do is embrace it, and who knows, we all may meet some new bff's in the process (but again honesty-no one will ever compare to anyone who has ever attended Auburn).



I do want this blog to be founded on honesty in every attempt to avoid Rob from claiming that it is some sort of "bragging" about my life. I don't think graduating college is anything to brag about unless you are talking to your grandparents or trying to get some sort of job. Both of which I am not as I talk to myself . So, this blog is not a "brag," only a coping mechanism to document the next chapters of this slightly pathetic, occasionally humorous novel of my life.

Now to the intention of this first post... to tell you the reason behind the name of this blog. I couldn't decide on Are You Zar? or this one, but I figured we could turn Are You Zar? into a much better fail blog. All you know who know me know that I love to depart with a sometimes awkward, always meaningful "Never Change," which in all reality should not hold much truth. It is an effort to let you know that I care about you, like you the way you are, and don't want you to change. Most of us wish our life in Auburn would "never change" and we could eternally be fleeing studying to hang out with friends, doing as many random things together as possible, eat Chickfila and Big Blue for every other meal, and share life over breakfast. For zar, I wish that could be my job; hanging out with friends.
The flaw in this "never change" statement was pointed out to me by Phillip letting me know that we should be constantly changing as we mature and grow in our relationship with Christ. But, saying "change" would only be some Obamaism that I wouldn't want to stand for. So never change it is with the addition of a tag line: unless it is for the good or God changes you. It is really only necessary to point out that God is the only person, place, or thing that will actually "never change." He will always be loving, sovereign, and good. It is this truth that can aid our transition to something completely new and different. We are going to have friends because He is love, things are going to work out because He is sovereign, and life will be a-okay because He is good! "He Never Changes!"

It is only with that outlook that I hope to begin this journey in Teach for America in Memphis, TN. The subject, location, and timing are all not ideal, but I am clinging to the promise that God has for my life. (Honesty again: I miss my friends like crazy)

I ask for your prayers for myself and my students as I try to mold them into the promises that God has for them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Cullen, I'm Ellen's mom and I've been enjoying reading your blog. I admire your determination to work for Teach for America and the trust that you have placed in God. It is that unchanging characteristic of God that will help you and all these friends of Ellen's I've seen on her facebook for the last couple of years to go into the world to seek God's will for your lives and all the change that brings. Congratulations on your graduation. Please know that the best part of your life is still to come. Meanwhile, pick up the phone and call friends when you miss them like crazy and know you are doing a great job. ~ Mrs. Simmons

    ReplyDelete