Monday, March 11, 2013

Jahlyn to Mexico


It is that time of the year again: Isla Mujeres, Mexico. My brother and high school Spanish teacher have been leading a service and medical mission trip by offering free dental care to people on the island for almost a decade. They have started a non-profit organization known as the Smile Foundation. Each trip brings more joy and a richer understanding of what it looks like to lose your life for others. It is funny to think about how a couple of years ago being a dentist was the only thing in my foreseeable future. Now, I love what I do (I could ramble but if you want to know more, you should read my previous blog entry).  I am immensely thankful for the opportunities my family has provided over the years to travel. I know each journey has helped to make me who I am today. I teach several students who have not been able to travel for various reasons, and therefore, have not been able to see what riches the whole world and different cultures have to offer.
           
Let me re-introduce you to Jahlyn: the student who inspired my vision for high school Chemistry at PCA. 

Over the last three years, I have seen Jahlyn mature into an intelligent, hard-working, and articulate young man. To meet and talk to him, you would not guess that he sometimes walks 3 hours to get home from school or practice because he rarely has transportation (he hates to burden people by asking for rides, but don’t worry he is getting much better at calling me for rides when he needs them), does his homework on the floor of a closet to get away from the noise of his overcrowded apartment, or has not ventured far from the limits of Memphis city. He has the highest average in my Chemistry course and takes advantage of every opportunity to give back to his community including picking up trash, tutoring refugees, fundraising, growing a community garden, playing rugby, running track, serving on student council, and more.  The thing is Jahlyn wants experience, learn, and travel. When Jahlyn is in college, he wants to study abroad to experience other cultures and ways of life. This is why I am bringing him along this summer. I think Jahlyn says it best: “The opportunity to go to a wonderful place like Mexico is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Some of the benefits include being able to interact with other cultures that I rarely have chances to encounter in the city of Memphis. This will not only fulfill my goal of helping the world not only by local means but globally, but it will also give me the chance to go abroad, which is where I want to study when I am ready to attend college. In addition, this chance to go on a trip to Mexico lends me a great opportunity to brighten hundreds, maybe even thousands, of lives that need someone to come and help them. The changing of a person’s mood based on the few actions that I take will cause me to become extremely happy; likewise, I want to know that in my life I had the opportunity to do something for my global community, and I took advantage, supplying for those less fortunate than me in the most efficient way that I could. In the end, I want to go to Mexico because in order to know that I have helped not only myself in life, I need to do everything in my power to show people that they are loved and cared for.”

This summer is going to be such a beautiful collision of cultures. I am excited about having the Lord continue to teach me about Him through others. I would love some help in getting Jahlyn to Mexico. The overall cost of his trip is $1,500. I’ve already gotten his plane ticket and passport. He will be going to matter what, but it would be helpful to minimize expenses. If you can support, Jahlyn and I would be very grateful. Whether or not you are able to support financially, please and more importantly be praying for our preparations and time in Mexico. Pray specifically for Jahlyn’s heart, that he might know the Lord and His grace; for the people we will be serving, all those we interact with; for the safety and health of the team; and for me, that I may love Jahlyn and others well as I also learn what the Lord has in store for me.

If you would like to help support Jahlyn, you can make a check payable to: The Smile Foundation.  Put Jahlyn in the memo line.
Checks can be sent to:
Cullen Johnson
1879 Felix Ave.
Memphis, TN 38114

It is because of your continued love and support of me, I have been able to live life with people like Jahlyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment