Sunday, March 10, 2013

Why I Am STILL Teaching

After my second year of teaching, I sat down to re-create my vision; two years of teaching had taught me a few things, and while the reason why I taught had not so much changed, it certainly had evolved. The evolution had been gradual, and it grew every single day as I interacted, educated, and learned from each and every one of my students. As I transitioned from being a middle school science teacher to a high school chemistry teacher, I thought about the unique opportunity I was given to teach several of my previous students again. I thought about how much I wanted to teach them Chemistry so that they would be prepared for their other high school and college science classes. But even more than preparing them academically for their future, I thought about how much I wanted to shape these young men and young women into people of strong character. I teach because of my students. I teach to push them to their ultimate potential, not just as learners, but also as contributors to society. With an excellent teacher, there is no doubt that all of my students will achieve great things. They need to be pushed to reach their ultimate potential. I am confident that this will have them on a successful life path.
When I think about why I teach, hundreds of faces rush through my head, each face with its own unique story. Statistics were the reason that I decided to teach in inner-city Memphis; now those statistics have names, faces and stories. I have over 300 reasons to continue teaching, and that number will grow until all students have access to the education they deserve. I know that each one of my scholars is as capable of succeeding as those students who are statistically advantaged because of their zip codes. I have seen it in their determination and drive, and I have seen their mindsets transform from “I can’t do this,” to “I can.” All it takes is someone who believes in them and never gives up on them. I teach because my students are the future, and they deserve an educator who is going to fight against the statistics by pushing them to reach their ultimate potential, not someone who is going to sit back and allow one of the greatest social injustices of our time to occur.

I teach so that Marcellus can understand the importance of homework and that responsibility at school translates to responsibility as an adult thriving in the real world.
I teach so that Darnell will not have to wait until the beginning of the month to have food in his fridge for the rest of his life.
I teach so that Taliya knows and believes that she is capable.
I teach so that B.J. and Terrence will understand that discipline and self-control help them accomplish their goals.
I teach because Jeremiah gave me hope when he began to not use his unfortunate childhood as an excuse, but as a motivator.
I teach so that Calvin will have someone who believes in him and will show him how to channel his energy towards something positive.
I teach so that Courtney will do scientific research at Yale University to prepare her for a future in the science field, as the first person in her family to go to college.
I teach so that DonTerrius knows that his mistakes can make him stronger and that those mistakes do not have to be repeated.
I teach so that Kupcake can understand that, even if she doesn’t like a class, it is still important for her to work hard.
I teach so that Dezmon can better understand what it means to be respectful, so he can achieve the “greatness” he believes he is destined for.
I teach because Jahlyn does his homework in a closet to get away from the noise of his overcrowded apartment, and I know he deserves better than that.
I teach so that Kyre can overcome arrogance and realize his true intellectual talent.
I teach because my students at Power Center Academy are proving those who believe in statistics wrong. They give me the realization that statistics do not determine futures; individuals do.
I teach because this list could go on and on and on, as I share a portion of each of my student’s unique stories.
I teach because all of my students are capable. I teach because I am confident that my students will be successful. I do not teach because I possess any extraordinary talent that makes me exceptionally qualified to teach; I teach because of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment